Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Turkey Bowl 2006

Well, it’s that time of year. Time to give thanks for football. As I have for the past 3 years in a row, I will pay homage to this wonderful sport in the only way I know how; I will be participating once again in a game of flag football tomorrow morning at 8:30 AM. Unfortunately for this year’s game, a few of the previous stars, and one former MVP will not be able to play this year… some due to personal conflicts and one former MVP due to recent surgery. They will be missed.

I’m sure some of you are wondering, so I’ll cut to the chase and inform you that yes, this years game is sold out, so if you were hoping to get tickets, good luck. I’m sure someone is willing to sell theirs on ebay (although I don’t know why) and you may even be able to find a scalper at the game, but do you really want to chance it? I’m also sad to announce that once again, this game will not be televised due to the strict purity laws established in 2003. Frankly, the advertisers were gaining too much control and the committee felt that the game itself was being corrupted and not honored properly.

I’m not advocating this, but don’t be surprised if a bootleg copy of the game ends up on the internet sometime this weekend. No matter how hard we try to stop the fans from video taping the game with any number of today’s available technology, we always miss something. Not to mention the size of some of the devices these days. It’s amazing how small they can make a portable video camera. You’d swear it was a cigarette lighter (by the way, the league in no way condones the use of tobacco or any tobacco related products) but then it turns out to be a high-def camcorder with a 3 terabyte, built-in, hard drive, blue tooth capable and linked to the user’s cell phone, streaming a live video feed on the internet… These kids today and their new fangled gadgets… I want one.

Fortunately for my readers, they will get a first hand report of the games action, so look forward to that with great anticipation. If you want to know what to expect in a game like this… well, you just have to ask me, “Have you ever returned a kickoff for a touchdown? Yes. Have you ever returned an interception for a touchdown? Yes. Have you ever thrown a touchdown pass? Yes. Have you ever caught a pass for a touchdown? Yes. Have you ever done all of the above in the same game? Why yes, yes I have, thank you for asking! Again, wait with great anticipation for the report tomorrow… good luck sleeping tonight.

No comments: