Friday, November 03, 2006

PSA

I feel that I have a certain responsibility in this world to make it a better place. I think that there are a lot of selfish people in this world that don’t practice that ideal. I look around and I see a world full of kids with a tremendous sense of entitlement. Every generation is becoming more and more egocentric. They are only concerned with what’s best for them. They don’t take the time to think about how their actions will affect those around them. If someone else has to endure hardship because of their actions, they just think, “Sucks for them. Glad it wasn’t me.” And they move on, even though with very little effort, they could have spared that person a lot of grief.

I grew up with the mindset that if you can help someone out, you should. And not because you’ll get something out of it, or because that person will owe you something later, you do it because it’s the right thing to do. That is it’s own reward. I genuinely feel good about myself when I’ve taken the time to make someone else’s life a little easier. I’m not even concerned with good karma; I’m just concerned with doing what is best for the community.

With all of that in mind, I offer this up to the internet and all the people it may reach (all 5 to be exact): Please do not watch The Puffy Chair.* Nothing good will come of it.

*I offer up this exemption: If you are mood to excuse yourself from the abilities to both see and hear, this is the perfect movie to help you through the process. Just moments into it, you will be more than ready to do whatever it takes to alleviate your mind from the pressures related to those two senses.

5 comments:

Bill C said...

Whoa. Reviewer (at the imdb page) put it among the ten worst films of all time. Inverted kudos! Definitely one to not fail to miss.

Your altruism leaves me speechless. That plus there's no one here to talk to, and I'm tired of hearing myself say Will you please just shut up already. Yeah. It gets old, know what I mean?

And so you're like, what? An undercover agent for NaBloPoMo?

cadiz12 said...

omg, i TOTALLY RENTED THAT!!! and i will have to say, it has replaced, "simply irresistible" as the straight-up WORST film i have EVER seen.

that aside, i was also pissed because i rented it from Netflix, and it came highly recommended as something i'd enjoy because i liked "garden state." um, NO comparison. but what's worse? NETFLIX PRODUCED THE MOVIE! that just seems so wrong, i'm considering canceling and moving to blockbuster. you get a free in-store rental every week with that, too.

Jon said...

Jam: Those reviews are strange, people thought it was either the greatest movie of all time, or one of the most horrific experiences of their lives… I fell into the latter. I can’t imagine living in a world where that is considered good.

And yes, I’m participating, but more in a not-so-up-front-about-it sort of way. I’m going to see if I can go the whole way without posting about how I’m posting everyday.

Cadiz: I apologize on behalf of the human race for your viewing of that “film(?)”

I don’t have a problem with netflix producing movies, I just have a problem with them recommending them so highly to people. They should leave the recommendations of their own produced movies to word of mouth and reviews by actual viewers.

Anonymous said...

I KNEW IT. there's no way you can post every day all of a sudden (giving me all sorts of grief about caching up on your posts) without some hidden motivation. Its like watching a one dollar stock go to 1000, jon. Not that I'd know what that's like having never played around with stocks.

but whatever.

I'm hoping HBO or something will play that movie one boring sunday afternoon because I do so have a soft spot for awesomely bad movies.

Anonymous said...

Damn. If I'da read your post on Friday, I could have spared myself from Saturday night torture with the Sundance Audience Award Winner.