Monday, November 27, 2006

Do computers bleed? (please no Johnny Five references here)

I will not let this cloning project die. I really should. In fact, to contradict what I just said in that first sentence, I will let it die if today’s efforts do not work. I’m giving it one last try and if this fails me, I’ll be looking at spending the next week in painful catch-up mode on my desktop as I reinstall every program I use. I’m not really looking forward to this because of how long it will take. Not just to install the base program, but to then update the crap out of it so that I have the fullest version available. Then on to the tweaking.

I’m typing this on my laptop while the big boy is busy transferring every last bit of information from one painfully old, small, slow, and very beloved disk over to the new, cocky, hotshot disk. We’ll see if this has any effect at all on the performance of the machine. I suspect not, but at least I’ll have piece of mind.

For future reference, should this work at all, I’m going to go ahead and say that so far, Acronis Migrate Easy has been the easiest program to work with. Mainly because it mirrors the hard drive in about 20 to 25 minutes instead of 3 to 4 hours like Norton Ghost does. Both have given me the same result, so if I were out there trying to perform this painful process, I’d be more inclined to use the program that works, but since that doesn’t seem to matter, I lean towards the one that uses the least amount of my time.

For those of you that are worried about me potentially NOT posting something new for you to ignore everyday, you can let that worry go because I’ve still got the laptop in perfect condition, so you’ll have a long wait ahead of you before that happens. (that wait time will be approximately three more days past today, but you never know, I’m highly unpredictable and boring.)

3 comments:

Syar said...

Who's Johhny Five?

Does that count as a reference?

Man...this cloning stuff is tedious. What is this, the 5th, 6th post on it? Call me when you're done and never do it again.

cadiz12 said...

that's from some 80s movie i never saw, right? short circuit or something?

yeah, but when it's done, you'll be happy...right?

Anonymous said...

On-line applications and storage are the way forward for just this reason...