Monday, November 20, 2006

Is there a doctor in the house?

I have a new question. Truth is, I have questions all the time. Some of them I’m willing to investigate myself, some of them I’m not. Guess which one this is? I’ll get to my actual question in a bit. As some of you may know, I’m a bit long winded and slow to the point, so I have a reputation to maintain. Allow me to give a little back-story…

I’m not a klutz. I don’t fall down easily, I don’t trip a lot, I’m not constantly stubbing my toes or bumping my head. I can get a little careless sometimes, but who doesn’t? I’m also not bad with tools. If you hand me the right tool for the job, I’ll probably be able to figure out how to use in such a way so as to not A) Decapitate myself, B) Paralyze myself, or C) remove any of my working limbs. (I realize that sentence implies that I have one, or possibly dozens of non working limbs, I won’t elaborate on that right now, I’ll just let you chalk that one up to my amazing air of mystery.) I’ve been fairly successful up to this point maintaining my body’s state of complete “intactness,” but sometimes I slip up.

Slip-ups occur when I get lazy or when the project gets frustrating. From time to time, I’ve been known to nick my self a little here and there. This may or may not have happened today. (The air of mystery is quite thick, no?) And if this did or did not happen, I may or may not have sealed the cut with super glue.

My question is this: Is there any medical risk associated with gluing your skin back together with super glue?

It would really be in my best interest if the answer to that question happened to be no. I’m not saying if it matters today or not, I’m just saying that in the past, or possibly today, it may or may not have occurred. If and when it may or may not have occurred, it would be nice to know that I’m in the clear. Not so nice that I’m going to look up the answer myself, but nice nonetheless. Ignorance, as they say, is bliss.

3 comments:

Bill C said...

Here's how I'd work through this problem.
Superglue = cyanoacrylate.
Cyan = color = "shade of blue."
Blue = color of blood in veins.
So! As long as the hypothetical nick was closer to a vein than an artery, using a cyanoacrylate to bond skin should be fine.

To be frank - and I'm not saying I want to be Frank, though I'd be okay if I *were* Frank - I'm a little suprised you didn't work this out on your own.

cadiz12 said...

i think the only kind of glue you should be using is FDA-approved "liquid stitches" and only then if applied by a licensed healthcare provided.

what's wrong with a little neosporin and a bandaid?

omar said...

Quite the contrary, I heard there are health benefits that result from using super glue. Hypothetically, you did the right thing.