Friday, November 09, 2007

Crap, it’s only day 9?

I’ve noticed a fairly disturbing trend in the entertainment industry lately. Given my lack of time constraints lately and the fact that I’ve become an entertainment garbage disposal, capable of watching anything with moving pictures, I think that I’m almost over qualified to analyze what I’ve seen.


I believe that the entertainment industry has a certain responsibility to maintain a good level of moral awareness. I’m not saying they always have to teach us how to do the right thing, but I think they should show us that bad things are definitely bad and good things are definitely good. I just don’t want the morally black things to become too gray if that makes any sense. For instance, not washing your hands after you use the rest room is WRONG. I don’t want Hollywood ruining the minds of our youth with the idea that you don’t always have to wash your hands. Before you know it, nobody will be washing their hands and we will live in a filthy, 19th world society (yes, 19th… we will be that much worse than a 3rd world society because we will have both the technology and the awareness with which to wash our hands, but we will choose not to, and that will drop us down a full 18 notches on a scale that usually only goes to 3.).


I never thought I would say this, but I believe that Hollywood is failing us. I’m starting to question whether or not they really do have any standards. How else can you explain to me why Two and a Half Men is still on the air, much less the number one comedy in America? No wonder other countries don’t like us.


Arrested Development, one of my all time favorite shows, had to kick and scream to make it through three seasons, and yet, here we are on season 5 of this Two and a Half Men crap. I can’t confirm this, but I’m almost 99% certain that the reason the writers are on strike right now is because of this show. If I had to keep writing that, I’d go on strike too! (seriously though, check out the user ratings on both of those shows... which one would you watch?)


Of course, we really have no one to blame but ourselves. Can anyone out there give me some legitimate justification for watching that show? Could you possibly provide any sound argument as to why that show should even be considered entertainment? I’ll be waiting in the comments with a menacing look on my face and my arms crossed to shoot down whatever crazy theory you have about why that show is worth airing. Don’t let that discourage you though, I promise I won’t… never mind. That should totally discourage you, I can’t promise anything.

2 comments:

cadiz12 said...

two and a half men is certainly NOT worth airing. my theory is that charlie sheen just slept with anyone who dared to say so.

i was just having this arrested-development-vs-unworthy-show debate, except instead of two and a half men, it was Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

can someone explain to me how that drivel with the talking cat lasted SEVEN SEASONS!?

Nadia said...

I liked Sabrina. Till Harvey bailed. Of course, when it was at its peak, my age was a single digit and I thought talking cats weren't a matter of if, but when.

Two and a Half Men is on local cable's Monday Night "comedy" craptacular, along with the super stellar comedic stylings of Still Standing and Yes Dear. To be honest, when I first heard that it was the top-rated show in the States I thought, "Heh. Must be an American thing."