Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Welcome to the jungle…

Allow me a moment to diverge from the usual chicanery that encompasses this blog and show you a little piece of the real me. I’m a bit of a sports nut, today, I bleed Dodger Blue. For the first time in my life I was able to make to opening day at Dodger stadium and, not coincidentally, for the first time in my life I can call myself a man.

Opening Day…took the day off work (always a good thing) and drove down to the ballpark with my Pops. It was Dodgers Vs. Giants (also, always a good thing) Being that I am a life long die hard Dodger fan, I am legally required to hate the Giants, and I do this without hesitation, for I am nothing if not a law abiding citizen. Yankees/ Red Sox rivalry gets a lot of press, but make no mistake about it, Dodgers/ Giants is just as mean. Let me think back to the last time I attended a Dodgers/ Giants game…(insert some sort of cool video flashback effect here) October 3, 2004. If the Dodgers win, they clinch the division and secure a spot in the playoffs. It’s the bottom of the ninth, Dodgers are down, things are looking grim, but then the Giants bullpen falls apart, and it all comes to pieces when Steve Finley jacks a grand slam walk-off home run to end the Giants hopes and dreams and cement the Dodgers playoff bid…yeah, that went pretty well. Today was eerily similar… only there isn’t nearly so much riding on the game today, other than I absolutely hate the Giants and want them to be the first team to ever go 0-162. That won’t happen this year as they have already won 4 games, but I’ll settle for 4-158 just the same (see, I’m not as unreasonable as you might think)


I’m not sure what was my favorite part… Was it when the fans in the right field pavilion busted out the custom made beach ball that looked like a prescription drug bottle with ‘Roids written on it and we all broke out in the “Barry Sucks” chant? Or was it when Milton Bradley laced one into left field in the 9th with the bases loaded, and the left fielder booted it giving Jeff Kent (the former Giant) the time he needed to score from first and win the game? I don’t know… I’ll have to mull over it for a while and get back to you…

No comments: